Directorate General of Employment and Training (India)
The Directorate General of Employment & Training (DGE&T) in Ministry of Labor is the apex organization for development and coordination at National level for the programmes relating to vocational training including Women's Vocational Training and Employment Services. Employment service is operated through a countrywide network of Employment Exchanges. Industrial Training Institutes are under the administrative and financial control of State Governments or Union Territory Administrations. DGE&T also operates Vocational Training Schemes in some of the specialized areas through field institutes under its direct control.
Functions of the DGET Are
• To frame overall policies, norms, and standards for vocational training.
• To diversify, update and expand training facilities in terms of craftsmen and crafts instructors’ training.
• To organise and conduct specialised training and research at the specially established training Institutes.
• To implement, regulate and increase the scope of training of apprentices under the Apprentices Act, 1961.
• To organise vocational training programmes for women.
• To provide vocational guidance and employment counseling.
• Assist scheduled castes/scheduled tribes and persons with disabilities by enhancing their capabilities for wage employment and self employment.